Manage the energy contracts for your new home

Real estate

Find out how to manage the energy contracts for your new home 



Find out how to manage the energy contracts for your new home


There’s no doubt that moving home comes with a lot of stress and things to check off your to-do list. That’s why it’s important to compartmentalise all the different things you need to get done. One of the most important - albeit less exciting - things to do is managing your energy contracts. Setting up gas and electricity in your new home - whether it’s a new build or a rented property - sounds like a big task, but is actually very easy and fast. Let’s find out how to manage the energy contracts for your new home.


Sort it out sooner rather than later


Although you can’t actually switch energy suppliers before you officially move into your new property, it’s still something you can sort out ahead of time. When you move into a new home you’re automatically on a “deemed contract” with the property’s energy supplier. This means you’re paying a default tariff with a variable rate. So you’re probably not getting the best value tariffs for your gas and electricity. You should notify your energy supplier that you’re moving 28 hours before your moving day at the very latest.


Are you not sure what kind of tariff you want to switch to? Well, consider a few things before committing to a switch.


      Want something cheap? Stay away from the bigger energy suppliers who are known for their more pricey tariffs.

      Looking for a green tariff? There are so many new, smaller suppliers out there who are offering green tariffs at affordable prices. Look into Bulb Energy and Octopus Energy to start with.

      Want dual fuel? Most suppliers offer deals for dual fuel customers!


Asking yourself these questions and more will help you to understand the type of tariff you need, and which supplier will offer the best plan for you and your new home’s energy requirements.


What about water bills?


Your water supplier is fixed, so you can’t actually change your water supplier. That being said, you should inform the company that deals with water in your area that you have moved into this new property.


What else other than energy do I need to sort out?


Contact your local council


It’s important to contact your local council when you move house. Informing them of your move will ensure that you are registered for council tax, and will help you to register to vote at your new address. It’s also important simply for your council to know where you are residing at any one time!


Register with healthcare services in your new area



Registering with a new local GP is a crucial step in the moving process. If you haven’t registered and you fall ill, the administrative process can be very tricky if you haven’t registered prior to this. Moreover, if you have children or ill members of your new household, make sure to do this for them as soon as possible. The same goes for if you have a pet! Register in a new veterinary clinic to make sure your pet’s health is not at risk. Click here to find a local GP near your new home. It’s also a good idea to register with a local dentist as soon as you can, as well as other healthcare services like an optician or audiologist.

letsbid report